The fortress and town of JAISALMER were established by Maharawal Jaisal in the year 1156 Promotion subsequent to having moved his capital from Ludharva (18 Kms from Jaisalmer) to a more secure spot. The decision group of the recent Jaisalmer State has a place with Bhati Faction of Yadu Rajputs of Chandrawasnshi (Lunar) race who guarantee drop from Ruler Krishna, the resisted saint who ruled at Dwarka. The verifiable cause of Bahttis can be surmised from the couplet which says that the Yadu Rajputs managed and built Fortresses at Kashi, Mathura, Pragvad, Gajni, Bhatner, Digam, Dirwal, Lodurva and ninth in Jaisalmer. (Gajni is in Afghanistan and Dirawal is presently in Pakistan).
The present region is generally made out of the previous JAISALMER state, which was among the Rajputana States to go under English security. The bargain between Maharawal Moolraj-II and the English legislature of twelfth December 1818 ensured to the ruler and his family the territory of Jaisalmer. Under this arrangement, the leader of the State was required to act insubordinate participation with the English Government. At the season of Afgan War in 1938-39 the then leader of the state Maharawal Gaj Singh made amazing idiot proof courses of action for transportation of English troops for which English Government felt appreciative to the ruler for opportune help and participation. In 1844, after the English attached Sind, the Posts of Shahgarh and Ghotaru, which are some time ago had a place with JAISALMER, were reestablished to the State. In 1949 when Jaisalmer was converged into the province of Rajasthan, there was no imperative change in the territory of the state. On October 6, 1949, the locale was given the status of a free area in Jodhpur division.